Candidates for National Board Certification are required to complete four components: three portfolio entries, which are submit online, and a computer-based assessment, which is administered at a testing center.
- Computer-based assessment
- Component 1: Content Knowledge
- Portfolio entries
- Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction (reflection on student work samples)
- Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment (video and analysis of teaching practice)
- Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner (documented impact and accomplishments as a teaching professional)
The process can be completed in one to three years (consecutive years). Candidates can choose to complete everything in one year or complete the components within five consecutive years.
To be eligible for National Board Certification you must have:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Completed three years of successful teaching
- A valid state and re-do components to reach higher scores teaching license or meet the licensure requirements established by your state for a school counselor
Candidates interested to start the process can attend Foundations of Accomplished Teaching to start the process.
Check the Calendar of Events for upcoming classes.
For more information go to NBPTS